We are now accepting applications for our late-summer 2013 New Leader Training!!
Volunteering with Sierra Club's Seattle Inner City Outings
Seattle Inner City Outings (ICO) began as part of the Seattle Group of the Sierra Club in
1991, and has grown to become one of the most active ICO programs in the National Sierra
Club. The first ICO group was established in 1971 as part of the San Francisco Bay Sierra
Club Chapter. There are now approximately 50 groups across the country serving thousands
of participants each year. Seattle ICO operates as an all-volunteer organization in partnership
with a small group of selected partner schools/nonprofit agencies.
It serves several hundred of Seattle's inner-city youths each year, providing them with
opportunities to go hiking, camping, canoeing, sledding, snowshoeing, skiing, backpacking,
rafting, kayaking, and more. Currently, Seattle ICO's partner organizations include:
Franklin High School, Bailey Gatzert Elementary School, Nathan Hale High School, Madrona K-8 School,
Asa Mercer Middle School, Rainier Beach High School, Showalter Middle School, South Shore K-8,
Tukwila Elementary School, Washington Middle School, and the EYES Youth Leader team.
How Does Seattle ICO Select Volunteers?
Seattle ICO is an all-volunteer organization. Since its beginning Seattle ICO has experienced
a steady and carefully planned increase in leaders, partner schools/agencies, and the number of
youths it serves. Seattle ICO's continued growth depends on its ability to attract new revenue
sources, new equipment, and most of all a select group of new volunteers who want to both lead
outings AND participate in activities that help sustain the organization. Non-outing activities
include event planning, fundraising, public relations, marketing, financial reporting, steering,
committee participation and more. Seattle ICO invites interested individuals to carefully review
what Seattle ICO expects and needs from its volunteers before applying to become an ICO leader.
New Seattle ICO leaders will be expected to:
- participate in the annual late-summer New Leader Training weekend on September 7th & 8th , 2013 ($45 fee)
- maintain current membership in the Sierra Club (membership rates vary-standard rate is $25)
- successfully pass required background checks (References, Excel Screening online)
- become certified in First Aid and CPR (within three months of completing training)
- become an active leader on one of ICO's established school/agency teams
- contribute to ICO's organizational development needs
- help Seattle ICO become an even stronger and more active program
- have fun and work together with other ICO leaders to serve Seattle's inner-city youth
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 9th, 2013!!
Seattle ICO 2013 Application: